• Mon. May 27th, 2024

Oxford City 2 (Lolos 45+2 pen, Williams-Bushell 87), Hampton & Richmond Borough 0


Aug 30, 2022

OXFORD City beat Hampton & Richmond Borough at the RAW Charging Stadium to claim a fourth straight win in Vanarama National League South.

Klaidi Lolos scored his fifth goal of the season from the penalty spot in first-half stoppage-time, before fellow summer signing Aaron Williams-Bushell completed victory late on.

It was also a fourth successive clean sheet for City, who climb to fifth in National League South.

Ross Jenkins made two changes from Saturday’s 2-0 win at Weymouth as Andre Burley and Williams-Bushell came in for Lewis Miccio and Charlie Rowan.

Chances were scarce in the first half, with Lolos firing an early effort over and Hampton’s Connor Kurran-Browne shooting straight at Ben Dudzinski after a well-worked move.

City moved the ball neatly but not quickly enough to seriously worry the visitors, although they passed up a golden opportunity in the 29th minute.

Lolos outmuscled Stefan Ilic at the byline and played the ball inside to Williams-Bushell, who squared it to Gerald Muchchetere six yards out. The teenager was stretching but should have done better as he fired wide.

The half looked set to end goalless, until the lively Williams-Bushell went down under Ruaridh Donaldson’s challenge in stoppage-time.

Lolos stepped up to send Mark Smith the wrong way, rolling the penalty to the goalkeeper’s left.

Miccio replaced Muchchetere at the break as Coyle moved inside to play alongside Zac McEachran in behind the striker.

There was a flurry of chances just before the hour mark as Lolos saw a shot blocked after good work from McEachran, before Ilic saw a header saved by Dudzinski at the far post.

Coyle then had two efforts from the edge of the box in quick succession which Smith parried away.

Hampton brought on Tommy Wood for Temi Babalola, with Miccio denied on the line moments later as Kurran-Browne reached a cross a split-second sooner.

City were getting closer and Lolos headed against the crossbar after Coyle hung a cross up at the back post, before the hosts benefitted from a slice of luck.

A corner came in from the left and Dean Inman climbed highest to head goalwards, with the ball striking the far post and then Dudzinski before being cleared.

Hampton were enjoying their best spell of the match, before an injury to Dudzinski disrupted their flow. The goalkeeper stayed on the pitch, but McEachran came off for Jean-Baptiste Fischer.

City went close again ten minutes from time when Lolos did well to cut the ball back from the byline. It fell to Coyle six yards out, but he failed to get hold of the shot and it was cleared off the line.

Williams-Bushell forced Smith into another good save on the turn and soon had the goal his performance deserved.

Lolos was involved again, racing forward before Josh Ashby spread the play to the wing back.

Williams-Bushell advanced into the penalty area and squeezed the shot under Smith to make it 2-0 with his first City goal.

Oxford City (3-5-2): Dudzinski, Burley, Carroll, Harrison, Williams-Bushell, Fleet, Ashby, McEachran (Fischer 73), Coyle, Lolos, Muchchetere (Miccio 46).

Unused subs: Grantham, Rowan, Humphrey-Ewers.

Booked: Harrison.

Hampton & Richmond Borough (4-1-4-1): Smith, Miller-Rodney, Block, Inman, Donaldson, Wittingham, Kurran-Browne, Gray, Shokunbi, Ilic, Babalola (Wood 60).

Unused subs: Fernandez, Barzey, Fraser-Grante, Shroll.

Booked: Babalola, Whittingham.

Referee: Abigail Byrne.

Attendance: 552.