• Thu. Jun 13th, 2024

Banbury United beat Hereford + Oxford City win at David Oldfield’s Weymouth


Aug 28, 2022

MORGAN Roberts made it four goals in two games as his double helped Banbury United beat Hereford 3-1.

The winger struck in each half after Jay Williams put the Puritans on course for a fourth win in their first five Vanarama National League North matches.

Hereford’s Ryan McLean briefly reduced the deficit just before the interval, but the Bulls were no match for Andy Whing's side.

New No 9 Harry Parsons was named on the bench after arriving on loan from Swindon Town on Friday, the striker signing until January.

The 19-year-old joins a club riding the crest of a wave and it took them just six minutes to take the lead.

Hereford failed to clear a free-kick and Williams fired home to give the hosts the perfect start.

The Puritans were watched by 1,324 fans at the Banbury Plant Hire Community Stadium, their biggest crowd of the season, and they went 2-0 up with just 18 minutes gone.

Roberts bagged both goals in last weekend's 2-1 win at Darlington and he was back on the scoresheet, converting calmly after Henry Landers chased down a through ball to set him up.

The winger struck the post just after the half-hour mark, but McLean gave Hereford a lifeline with a goal in stoppage-time.

Banbury had to start the second period on the front foot and they did just that, Roberts beating a defender and applying the finish just three minutes after the restart.

Parsons replaced Landers with 20 minutes left and saw a shot saved, but there were no further goals as the Puritans moved level on points with Vanarama National League North leaders King’s Lynn Town.

Unfortunately, the win was marred by unruly scenes as one person was injured and another arrested after items including bottles and a traffic cone were allegedly thrown by fans.

Banbury make the short trip up the M40 to Leamington tomorrow (3pm).

Meanwhile, Oxford City beat Weymouth 2-0 to inflict another defeat on former manager David Oldfield.

Lewis Coyle fired the visitors ahead after seven minutes, before Klaidi Lolos bagged his fourth goal of the season from the penalty spot late on.

Ben Dudzinski then preserved his third successive clean sheet when he saved Keelan O’Connell’s spot-kick.

The Vanarama National League South clash was the first time Oldfield has faced City since leaving the club for Weymouth in January.

His new side were soon behind, as space opened up for Coyle and he took the chance to rifle an effort into the far corner.

The former Kidlington man starred at the other end when he made a vital block from Claudio Ofosu, ensuring the visitors went in at the break 1-0 up.

A quiet second half burst into life when former City player Harry Kyprianou tripped Lolos, with the striker picking himself up to increase the lead.

Weymouth were handed a late chance from the spot, but Dudzinski saved from O'Connell to make it three successive wins to nil.

City are sixth in National League South and have not conceded in more than five hours of football, while their opponents remain pointless after five games.

Ross Jenkins' side are back at the RAW Charging Stadium tomorrow, with a home game against Hampton & Richmond Borough (3pm).