• Thu. Jun 13th, 2024

Inquest opened into deaths of three young men in A420 crash near Faringdon

Byoxfordnewspaper

Aug 31, 2022

An inquest has been opened into the deaths of three young men killed in a tragic crash on the A420.

Lawrence Bruce, 20, Joseph Shape, 18, and Calum Leighton, 18, were in a black Ford Fiesta heading towards Oxford when the car was involved in a collision with a coach and a white Alfa Romeo near Faringdon on August 21.

All three men were pronounced dead at the scene shortly after 10.20am that day, Oxfordshire senior coroner Darren Salter recorded.

Post-mortems had been conducted into the deaths of all three men. The cause of death was given in each case as multiple injuries or severe head trauma.

READ MORE: Flowers left at scene of A420 tragedy

Having opened the inquest out of court this afternoon, Mr Salter adjourned the case for a full inquest on February 28 next year.

Mr Shape was said to have been a chef who lived in Kington St Michael, near Chippenham, Wiltshire, at the time of his death. College student Mr Leighton lived in Yatton Keynell, Wilts. Mr Bruce was a university student, living at a property in London Road, Devizes, Wilts.

In a tribute released last week, Mr Leighton’s family said the 24 hours before his death were the ‘best’ of his life. The music producer had launched his own record label, Run Da Riddim, at a successful event.

“Everyone said how brilliant his set was and how happy he was to be sharing his love and cheeky smile with all his friends,” the teenager’s family said.

“His sole aim, as always, was to bring everyone together for a good time, and what better way than with music, the Language of the World.”

Read more from this author

This story was written by Tom Seaward. He joined the team in 2021 as Oxfordshire's court and crime reporter.

To get in touch with him email: Tom.Seaward@newsquest.co.uk

Follow him on Twitter: @t_seaward